2022 IRS tax return schedule in the US: dates and deadlines

Don’t panic if you received a scary notice from the IRS 1:05 (CNN Spanish) — The vast majority of taxpayers in the United States have until Monday, April 18, to file their 2021 individual return and pay the remaining federal income taxes owed last year. But what happens if you miss the deadline? Tax season kicked off on January 24, so taxpayers have just under three months to get their tax files in order and file on time to receive their refund faster and avoid penalties. If for any reason you could not or believe you will not be able to meet the deadline, either because the document had to be corrected or you need to renew your individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), you can request an extension to avoid possible penalties for late filing. But first, you’ll need to keep these three important dates in mind: April 18: This is the deadline to file your 2021 tax return or request an extension and pay taxes due on Emancipation Day in the city of Washington. April 19 – Deadline for those living in Maine or Massachusetts due to the Patriots Day holiday which falls on April 18. October 17 – is the deadline for those who requested an extension on their 2021 tax returns. What do I need to get started? To start your tax return it is important that you have at hand: Your SSN or your ITIN number. Social Security benefits, unemployment compensation, receipts from your small business (if applicable) and receipts for income received from rentals, royalties, real estate, donations, among others. Form W-2, issued by your employees and other earnings declarations such as forms 1099 and 1099-INT. Taxpayers with an annual adjusted gross income (AGI) of $73,000 or less are eligible to file a free federal tax return through the IRS Free File program. What forms of payment are available to make my statement? There are many ways to pay your federal taxes. You can do it in a direct payment from a bank account, with a credit or debit card, through the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS, for its acronym in English), with a check or money order and even, some states They accept cash payments. Here you can find more information about payment options. What happens if I can’t file my return on time and/or pay my taxes? It is possible to request an extension to avoid paying penalties for filing a late return. Extensions provide more time to file, but not to pay taxes due. You can request a free extension through Free File, when making a payment, or through extension forms. Now, if you don’t pay the taxes you owe on time, the balance is subject to interest and a monthly penalty for late payment. That’s why the IRS encourages taxpayers to file their return on time, even when they can’t pay the balance due in full. For those who cannot pay the taxes due in full, the IRS offers alternatives. “A short-term payment plan may be an option and can be requested for up to 120 days,” reads the IRS site. Check if you qualify to request a payment plan and how much each payment plan costs depending on its duration. In the event that the IRS determines that the taxpayer is unable to pay any portion of their debt, the agency may temporarily delay the collection process. However, the amount you owe will increase due to accrual of penalties and interest until full payment is made. To request a temporary delay or to inquire about your payment options, the IRS asks taxpayers to call 800-829-1040 or the phone number on the bill or notice you received.