A week after the last American soldiers left Afghanistan – and as the Taliban now control the entire Panchir Valley -, diplomatic networks are still trying, Monday, September 6, to organize themselves to continue the evacuation operations from Afghanistan.
Americans evacuated for the first time since the withdrawal of the army
Four Americans left the country on Monday by land as part of departures arranged by the United States, a senior US official said. The Taliban had been made aware of these departures and “Did not prevent them”, he clarified. However, no mention was made of the border countries from which these nationals were evacuated. These departures are the first that the United States has organized since their withdrawal on August 31.
The senior official in question accompanied US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who arrived in the Qatari capital on Monday for talks on Afghanistan, according to a journalist from Agence France-Presse (AFP). “We are grateful for Qatar’s close collaboration on Afghanistan and its indispensable support to assist the transfer of US citizens, Kabul embassy staff, threatened Afghans and other evacuees from Afghanistan via Qatar ”, had informed the US State Department before the arrival of Mr. Blinken in Qatar.
The secretary of state did not say whether he would speak personally with representatives of the new teachers in Kabul. But the United States maintains “Communication channels” with the Taliban, he said, adding that he wants the new government to be “Representative of the different communities and different interests in Afghanistan”. On Monday evening, the government’s announcement was deemed imminent.
Over 300 civilians eligible for asylum in the UK, still in Afghanistan
While the airlift set up by the Americans and their allies allowed the evacuation of 123,000 people from Afghanistan, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Monday that 311 Afghans eligible for asylum in the UK Uni, could not be evacuated.
“The total number is 311, of which 192 answered the calls that were made”Mr Johnson told MPs on the opening day of Parliament, responding to a question about the number of Afghans who had not been evacuated, but who were nevertheless eligible for the British aid program (Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy, or ARAP ), intended for staff employed on site.
He did not say how many Britons were still in the country, however. While the Labor opposition accused the head of government of not having a precise plan, the latter assured that his government was doing everything to bring these people to the United Kingdom. “We are urgently working with our friends in the region to ensure safe passage and as soon as roads become available we will do our utmost to [leur] allow to reach a safe place ”, he insisted.
The UK evacuated more than 15,000 people from Kabul airport in the two weeks following the Taliban return to power on August 15, including nearly 8,600 Afghans eligible for the ARAP program.
Our selection of articles on Afghanistan
Find our articles on the situation in Afghanistan in our section.