(CNN) – Brazilian soccer star Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pelé, announced on Monday that on Saturday he underwent surgery to remove a “suspicious lesion” in his right colon.
On your official Facebook account, the former player said the tumor was identified during examinations last week. “Fortunately, I am used to celebrating great victories alongside you. I am going to face this game with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy for living surrounded by the love of my family and my friends, ”he said.
Pelé also thanked God for feeling “very good” and for allowing doctors Fabio Narsi and Miguel Cendoroglo Neto, from Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein, to take care of his health.
The hospital confirmed in a statement the finding of the suspicious injury and said that Pele is recovering in the intensive care unit, with the anticipation of transferring him to a normal room on Tuesday.