Princess Charlene of Monaco, currently in South Africa, collapsed on Wednesday and was taken to hospital. Its condition is stable, the AFP agency informed on Friday, referring to its foundation.
Photo: SITA / AP, Valery Hache
Prince Albert II of Monaco. and Princess Charlene of Monaco
“Her Clarity was taken to the hospital by Princess Charlene of Monaco on Wednesday night after collapsing due to complications associated with a serious infection of the ears, nose and throat she received in May,” the statement said. “The princess’s medical team is currently assessing her health, but has confirmed that she is stabilized,” the foundation said in a statement.
Chantell Wittstock, director of the Princess Charlene Foundation of Monaco, told AFP that the princess had been released from the hospital on Friday morning. She added that doctors are still finding out exactly what happened. The forty-three-year-old princess underwent surgery in August, but only a few details have been released.
Former South African Olympic swimmer Charlene married Prince Albert II. in 2011. They have twins together – Prince Jacque and Princess Gabriel. In recent weeks, there has been speculation that the royal couple may be awaiting divorce. Charlene has been in South Africa for several months and media reports indicate that she is looking for a house there.
Prince Albert is the son of the late Hollywood star actress Grace Kelly, from whom she marries Prince Raineir III. in 1956, Princess Grace of Monaco became. She died in a car accident in 1982.