(CNN Spanish) – The Ford F-150 Lightning represents for some experts one of the most important vehicles in the industry, not only because year after year the F-150 trucks are the best-selling in the United States, but because it is the first time that the automaker presents a Electric F-150, similar to what the Tesla Cybertruck offers. Is that so? Let’s see its characteristics.
Ford F-150 Lightning price
The Ford F-150 Lightning pickup starts at $ 39,974 before any federal or state tax incentives.
This Ford F-150 Lightning price is adequate, because it is right in the price range of the Cybertruck which has a starting price of $ 39,900. Another electric pickup on the way is the Rivian R1TBut that one has a starting price of $ 75,000.
The new Ford F-150 Lighting will be available in versions with standard battery or extended battery, as well as in F-150 XLT, Lariat and Platinum models.
An electric Ford F-150 and how it compares to the Cybertruck
Although the Ford F-150 Lightning is the first pickup in the electric series, its appearance at first glance does not make it too different, somewhat contrary to what the Tesla Cybertruck and also the Rivian R1T offer.
This means that we have a simulation of the front grill that although it is not as open as it usually is, it imitates through different angles a bit the traditional ventilation that gasoline cars require. Plus, the doors have traditional handles and even the wheels don’t reveal anything too out of the ordinary.
This can be good for some and bad for others because some love the traditional design of cars even though they are electric and others just want to show off or have something different.
In any case, the Ford F-150 Lightning is more aerodynamic than previous models and has modifications, although it maintains the rear plate to be able to place all kinds of materials and has even a scale to estimate the load.
On the front is where it looks weirder than usual because although we are used to electric vehicles having a frunkThis is undoubtedly more similar in appearance to a trunk or trunk of a traditional car and has the capacity to carry up to two carry-on and one checked bag, or two sets of golf clubs.
As it is an electric vehicle, acceleration is practically instantaneous and achieves in four seconds to reach 60 miles per hour, about 96 kilometers per hour. Additionally, the F-150 Lightning offers a range of 230 to 300 miles per charge.
In comparison, the Cybertruck manages to go from 0 to 60 in 6.5 or 2.9 seconds depending on the model chosen. Also, the range of this Tesla pickup is 250 to over 500 miles.
In terms of maximum towing, the F-150 Lightning offers 7,700 or 10,000 pounds, while the Cybertruck offers 7,500 to 15,000 pounds or more.
It does not seem that Ford is too far from what it offers at least the basic Tesla model, but it would still be necessary to put them to the test to see how they behave in everyday life. However, it is clear that Tesla offers you the possibility of having not only more starting speed, but also more range in the most advanced model.
The two trucks promise great resistance to all kinds of conditions and jobs.
Battery to power your house or whatever you want
An interesting component of the Ford F-150 Lightning truck is that it has a function called Ford Intelligent Backup Power that allows you to provide power to your home in the event of a blackout.
Ford says that this new F-150 has a power of 9.6 kW that would allow to offer 3 to 10 days of electricity depending on the consumption you have.
In this way, the Ford F-150 Lightning is not only an electric truck that allows you to transport yourself and transport materials or all kinds of things, but it also serves as a backup battery for your house.
If this is not important, in any case the new F-150 allows you to use that battery to connect all kinds of devices through its plugs, whether you are camping or working.
Technology: upgrade without going to the dealer
One of the advantages that electric vehicles have been offering is that they also allow for simpler upgrades. Just by having internet connectivity, software updates can be made to improve over time.
Plus, the Ford F-150 Lightning features BlueCruise for hands-free highway driving.
The truck features the Sync 4A infotainment system that offers compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto through a 5.5-inch screen. The driver has a 12-inch dash.
Ford F-150 Lightning: technical sheet
- Style: Four-door with a platform, or 5.5-foot or 167-centimeter cargo area
- Engine: Dual (double), one in the rear and one in the front (4WD)
- Maximum power (horsepower / kW): 426/318 in the basic model (Standard Range Battery) or 563/420 in the Extended-Range Battery
- Torque (pound-feet): 775
- Suspension: Independent with front and rear stabilizer bar
- Maximum payload: 2,000 pounds
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 10,000 lbs.
- Rear cargo volume: 52.5 cubic or 1.48 cubic meters
- Front Loading Volume: 14.1 cubic feet or 0.40 cubic meters
- 0 to 60 miles: 4 seconds
- Range / Range (EPA): Up to 230 miles on base model or up to 300 miles on more advanced
- Charging times: From 15 to 80%: 150kW 44 to 41 minutes; 50kW 91 to 122 minutes / 15 to 100%: 80A 10 or 8 hours; 48A 10 to 13 hours; 32A or 240W from 14 to 19 hours (depending on the model)
- Fast charge: Up to 41 or 54 miles on 150kW charge for 10 minutes
- Power generator type battery power (Ford Intelligent Backup Power): 9.6 kW
- Infotainment system: SYNC 4A with 15.5-inch touchscreen, voice detection, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and integration with Amazon Alexa and SYNC AppLink.
- Tachometer: 12-inch display with customizable interface