(CNN Spanish) – This July 6, the 175th birthday of Ángela Peralta Castera is celebrated, a Mexican artist who is considered one of the best opera singers in Mexico.
Peralta had a remarkable career in opera, something that dates back to when he was just 8 years old. Since then, his career has done nothing but rise.
Today on his birth anniversary, we remember essential information about his career and also about his life, which were collected by Google.
- Date of birth: July 6, 1845
- Peralta was born in Mexico City, the capital of the country.
- She was a pianist, harpist, composer and opera soprano.
- At the age of 8, he performed the Italian opera ‘Belisario’, thus beginning to forge his legend.
- When he was 15 years old, he finished his studies at the National Conservatory of Music, according to the Mexican government.
- And just after finishing his studies, “Peralta made his opera debut at the Gran Teatro Nacional, one of the main opera houses of the nineteenth century in Mexico,” says Google in the information on his now classic doodle.
- After that performance at the Gran Teatro Nacional, Ángela Peralta went to Italy to continue growing her talent.
- “In Milan, the 1862 performance of the romantic opera ‘Lucia di Lammermoor’ so impressed the audience that ovations brought her back on stage 23 times,” Google details.
- He earned the nickname ‘The Mexican Nightingale’ for his “mastery of the operatic lyrical style known as bel canto.”
- He carried out international tours that included the best opera houses in Europe and the United States.
- Emperor Maximilian invited her to Mexico, where she arrived in 1865, the country’s government says.
- After that, he went on a tour that included cities like Havana, New York, Rome and Madrid.
- He returned to Mexico in 1871 with a performance at the Gran Teatro Nacional.
- “Soon after, Peralta took advantage of this successful push to found his own opera company,” says Google. And then he made a tour of various parts of the country.
- Angela Peralta “died on August 30, 1883, victim of a yellow fever epidemic that devastated the port of Mazatlán,” located on the coast of the state of Sinaloa, in northern Mexico, explains the Mexican government.
- In this city, “his legacy is preserved in an opera house that bears his name: the Angela Peralta Theater”, Google concludes.
- If you want to see a portrait of Angela Peralta, click here.
- To see his list of works and listen to a musical selection of his performances, click here.