For this 79th edition of the Golden Globes, the emphasis was on security since the ceremony took place on the sly, without an audience, without stars, and without broadcasting. Nevertheless, the prizes have been awarded, and if HBO is required for series, it is Netflix which follows suit concerning the rewards of films, with this prize which creates the surprise.
A special edition
Each year, the Golden Globes 2022 reward the best series and films of the year. Last year, the series The Crown had walked on the ceremony by winning no less than 4 trophies, symbol of the domination of Netflix on the market. On the film side, it’s the Nomadland by Chloé Zhao (The Eternals) who had delighted the statuette.
For this 79th edition, the framework was adapted to the current health situation, without an audience, without a presenter, but more, without television broadcasting, and therefore without the usual high mass. It was through a tweet that the winners of the different categories were announced.
Best Dramatic Film
Netflix rubbed its hands again during the verdict, since it is The Power of the Dog of Jane Campion who was sacred. Launched on the streaming platform on November 11, this western-based drama that brings together Kirsten Dunst and an inhabited Benedict Cumerbatch stands out in particular in front of the Dune by Denis Villeneuve. The Power of The Dog also won the awards for Best Director (Jane Campion), and Best Supporting Actor for Kodi Smit-McPhee.
Best Comedy or Musical
For his part, West Side Story, the remake of the iconic 1961 musical directed by Steven Spielberg wins the award for best comedy, or musical. The film also won the categories for Best Actress in a Comedy and Best Supporting Actress for Rachel Zegler and Ariana DeBose respectively.
Here is the full list of films
- Best Dramatic Film : The Power of The Dog
- Best Comedy or Musical : West Side Story
- Best Director: Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
- Best Actress in a Drama : Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos
- Best Actor in a Drama : Will Smith, King Richard
- Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical : Rachel Zegler, West Side Story
- Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical : Andrew Garfield, Tick, Tick… Boom!
- Best Supporting Actress : Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
- Best Supporting Actor : Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
- Best Foreign Film : Drive My Car
- Best animated film : Encanto
- Best scenario : Belfast
- Best Soundtrack : Dune – Hans Zimmer
- Best Original Song : No Time to Die from No Time to Die – Billie Eilish, Finneas O’Connell
On the series side, it’s HBO and Succession who leave with the golden globe for best drama series, but also with those for Best Actor (Jeremy Strong) and Best Supporting Actress (Sarah Snook).
Squid Game was still able to console himself with the award for Best Supporting Actor in a Series for O Yeong-su, the interpreter of Oh Il-nam, aka number 001 and organizer of the death games. HBO is the big winner of the series since the platform is also essential in the category of the Best comic or musical series with Hacks.
Here is the complete list of the series
- Best Drama Series : Succession
- Best Comedy or Musical Series: Hacks
- Best Miniseries : The Underground Railroad
- Best Actress in a Drama Series : Mj Rodriguez, Pose
- Best Actor in a Drama Series: Jeremy Strong, Estate
- Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical Series : Jean Smart, Hacks
- Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical Series : Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
- Best Actress in a Miniseries : Kate Winslet, Mare of Easttown
- Best Actor in a Miniseries : Michael Keaton, Dopesick
- Best Supporting Actress in a Series : Sarah Snook, Estate
- Best Supporting Actor in a Series : O Yeong-su, Squid Game