“I must not comment on this because an investigation is under way,” the actor told cameramen and photographers during an unplanned interview on a trip to Vermont. The actor also stated that similar accidents are very rare.
“She was my friend. The day I came to Santa Fe and started filming, I took her to dinner with Joel.” Baldwin said of Hutchins. He noted that the staff had cooperated well before the tragedy.
On October 21, while filming western Rust in New Mexico, Baldwin fired a sharp ammunition from a weapon. However, he had previously been told that the weapon was not dangerous. Forty-two-year-old cinematographer Hutchins lost her life and 48-year-old director Joel Souza suffered a shoulder injury.
So far no one has been charged, calls for the non-use of real firearms have begun to increase
No one has been charged so far, but the focus is on those who manipulated the weapon before the deadly shot. Prosecutors also did not rule out prosecuting Baldwin. The American media state that Baldwin, as an actor, is probably not in danger of being prosecuted, but the star of the film Rust also produces, which also bears some responsibility for the filming process. Baldwin said he had serious doubts about whether filming would continue.
Following the tragic incident, calls began in the film industry to increase the use of real firearms, which usually contain blanks for shooting purposes, when shooting films and series. “I know that the ongoing effort to limit the use of firearms in filming is something that interests me immensely.” said Baldwin. He added that he is not an expert in this field, but he wants to support the recommendations of those called in, which will lead to increased safety in the film.
Alec Baldwin speaks out on the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of RUST:
“She was my friend … We were a very, very well-oiled crew shooting a film together, and then this horrible event happened.” pic.twitter.com/QzVISWk8Qy
– The Recount (@therecount) October 30, 2021