Beaches, it’s expensive prices: the investigation by Altroconsumo

The summer season has now arrived, this year more desired than ever, and Italians are starting to plan or leave for the first weeks of vacation, which many will spend on the beaches of the Peninsula. But this year the prices of the establishments have changed, also due to the health emergency, and have undergone a noteworthy increase. Compared to 3 years ago, the cost of umbrellas has increased on average by 17%, reaching peaks of + 34% in Gallipoli and + 32% in Alghero. This was reported by Altroconsumo who carried out a survey on bathing beaches to guide Italians in choosing their summer destinations, which was carried out between April 20 and May 5. The survey compared the prices of the beaches during the first week of August and took into consideration the average cost for an umbrella and two sunbeds in the first 4 rows. Senigallia and Taormina, on the other hand, are the places that have undergone more slight variations, respectively of 2% and 1%. So how much does it cost to go to the beach today? The analysis shows that the average cost is 182 euros for the week, the cities with the most expensive establishments are Alassio with 287 euros per week, followed by Gallipoli (267 euros) and Viareggio (256 euros), while those with lower prices are Rimini (115 euros) and Senigallia (122 euros). In order not to find themselves without an umbrella when the holidays arrive, there are many Italians who decide to book in advance. Many beaches establish a deposit to ask consumers, specifically 31% does it. But what happens if the customer is then unable to go to the beach for reasons related to the pandemic? 77% of the structures are willing to return the deposit (all respondents from Alassio, Alghero, Lignano, Senigallia provide for it) but the remaining 23% either are not (mostly the Anzio bathrooms – 33%) or have to decide (all the plants in Palinuro, 47% of those in Gallipoli, 29% of those in Viareggio and 9% of those in Rimini). It is therefore essential to inquire about the subject at the time of booking in order not to risk nasty surprises in the event of cancellation. However, access to these facilities is not just an economic issue. People with disabilities and their families, in fact, in choosing the maritime destination in which to spend their holidays must also take into account the presence or absence of equipment aimed at welcoming this type of customer. Altroconsumo also analyzed the level of preparation of the shores to receive people with disabilities. Out of the total number of bathrooms interviewed, 9% advised against the structure: problems such as the presence of steps, steep roads, the absence of ramps, make it really difficult for a person with a disability to access these establishments. To the 91% who declared themselves ready to receive this type of customer, Altroconsumo asked some questions about the extent of access to the structure, the adequacy of the sanitary facilities and the availability of structures that allow them to move on the sand and enter the water: 95% have an ad hoc bathroom for people with disabilities and 59% provide a special wheelchair to help the customer get into the water or are ready to retrieve one. 41% do not have it, however, many of the establishments declare themselves ready to find alternative solutions to facilitate access to the sea.

1 thought on “Beaches, it’s expensive prices: the investigation by Altroconsumo”


Comments are closed.